Dear parents and carers,
We’re pleased to share with you details for your child starting at St Mark’s in September!
We hope that you find this page helpful in finding out what to expect in the lead up to your child starting with us. Below we have mapped out some key dates for the coming months. You will see that there are several dates for some events; please ‘save the dates’ in preparation.
What do I need to do?
- Read through the information below
- Complete the home visits preference questionnaire – click here
- Make a note of the Welcome Meeting date and time
June and July Arrangements
Summary Calendar of events before the summer break (please read below for full details!)
- 7th June – Welcome Meeting 7pm
- 2nd July – FOSM PTA Summer Fun Day – 12pm-3pm
- 4th July – Stay and Play session for surnames A-L – 3.45 – 4.45pm. Also, Information about classes sent home
- 5th July – Stay and Play session for surnames M-Z – 3.45 – 4.45pm. Also, Information about classes sent home
- 11th July – Teddy Bear Picnic 3.45- 4.45pm for those in Penguins class
- 12th July – Teddy Bear Picnic 3.45- 4.45pm for those in Puffins class
- 13th July – Teddy Bear Picnic 3.45- 4.45pm for those in Parrots class
Welcome to St Mark’s and Transition Meeting
The date for this meeting is Tuesday 7th June, held at St Mark’s school (in person). Within this meeting we will:
- Meet the YR Team
- Give you a brief recap of a typical day in Year R
- Explain the process of a Home Visit in September, and how you can sign up for this/when you will find out your date and time for this visit.
- Give more information about the ‘Teddy Bear’s Picnic’ event and which date your child will be invited to.
- Explain how we will be organising the children into classes.
- Go through the contents of the Summer Activity Pack we are giving to your child.
- Generally answer any questions you may have about the induction process.
- Hear from other organisations including FOSM PTA, SCL and Hatch Warren After School Club.
- We’ll be selling second hand uniform at the evening, too!
Summer Fun Day
Come and enjoy our FOSM PTA fun day on Saturday 2nd July, 12-3pm at St Mark’s. More details here!
‘Stay and play’ session
Your child is invited to a ‘Stay and Play’ session where they can become more familiar with our Year R indoor and outdoor areas.
If your child’s surname begins with A – L, their session will be on Monday 4th July.
If your child’s surname begins with M-Z their session is on Tuesday 5th July.
Both sessions will run from 3.45-4.45pm for your child and one adult.
Class Teddy Bears Picnic
Your child will then be invited to one picnic event in the following week where they can meet the other children who will be in their class, their class teacher and supporting adults.
The dates for these picnics are
- Monday 11th July 3.45 – 4.45pm – Penguins class
- Tuesday 12th July 3.45 – 4.45pm – Puffins class
- Wednesday 13th July 3.45 – 4.45pm – Parrots class
You will find out which date your child will need to attend at your child’s ‘Stay and Play’ session when we send home information about which class they will be in. Again, pencil these dates in your diary as potentials.
Summer Activity Packs
Each child will have a pack made up for them containing various resources you will find useful over the summer holidays, and throughout their time in Year R. We will distribute these at your child’s Teddy bear’s picnic.
We will visit all children at home before they start school. These visits help us start building a relationship with you as a family, and with your child before they start school. We find that they ensure a smoother transition as the children feel reassured by seeing a familiar face when they start school.
These visits will be 20 minutes in length and we will bring our class cuddly toy and a small bag of toys and games to entice your child to play with us.
We will visit over the first 3 days of the term in September (Monday 5th, Tuesday 6th and Wednesday 7th).
There will be a Google Form to sign up for your preferred day. We will be arranging the time for that day and let you know the details.
Stay and play sessions
All children will attend two ‘Stay and play’ sessions in small groups of 10 where they can visit their class teacher and spend time in their new classroom. We encourage the children to wear their own clothes, not uniform, to enable them to feel more comfortable that this is a ‘visit’ rather than them actually ‘starting school’. These groups are organised by surname and information about the session dates and times are detailed below in the table. These sessions are for the children alone.
Phased Transition in September – Why?!
We run a two-week phased transition period. This allows children to start school in smaller chunks of time, and also with smaller groups of children. It really makes a positive difference for all children. As the two weeks go on, children are in school for longer periods of time, until all children are in full time at the start of the third week.
Here is the timetable for the first two weeks of September (Remember, the 1st & 2nd Sept are INSET days)
We organise the September timetables according to your child’s birthday. This helps us to make it managable for everyone, especially the children.
Click on the tab above to see the September timetable for your child starting at St Mark’s. Not sure which season they fall into? See below
- AUTUMN BORN- Children born between 1st September 2017 – 31st December 2017
- SPRING BORN – Children born between 1st January 2018 – 30th April 2018
- SUMMMER BORN – Children born between 1st May 2018 – 31st August 2018
On the third week of school, all children are full-time.
What if I have to go to work full time from day one?
We do ask that you work with your employer to be flexible with the timetable below. It really does help your child – and the other children – because of the smaller groupings. If it is completely impossible for you, please do get in touch and we can discuss solutions.
Where do I go?
- You can enter the site at either the KS1 gate which is the Hatch Warren Community Centre side of the school (accessible via Woodbury Road), or the KS2 gate at the other end of the school (accessible via Danebury Road).
- While your child is part time, we ask that you only enter via the KS1 gate.
Children should wear their school uniform from September. On the days that children have their PE lessons, we ask them to come in wearing their PE kit all day, and not their uniform. School jumpers and cardigans can be bought from SkoolKits in Church Street Basingstoke or ordered online from https://www.skoolkit.co.uk/. A uniform list can be found here: http://wwwstmarksprimary.net/uniform.
On the days that they stay for lunch, the children can bring in a packed lunch or can order their universal free school meal (all Year R and KS1 children are entitled to this for free) which is a meat or vegetarian option. As from September, we are changing our catering provider to Pabulum, and are still at present confirming the new menu.
Snack & Milk
At present, all children in Years R,1 and 2 received free fruit daily from the government and we hope that this will continue next year.
All children under the age of 5 are also entitled to a free bottle of milk daily, after which a very small charge can be paid for this to continue. If you would like your child to receive this free milk you will need to self-register at www.coolmilk.com.
Children can bring in a draw string bag. Purchasing details will be given out at the meeting on 7th June.
Sunscreen and Wellies
On hot days, please apply sunscreen before school, as we will not be able to apply it during the day. All Year R children will need a pair of wellies which will be kept in school. Please bring these in during your child’s first week of school (named, of course!).
We are asking parents to refrain from coming into the office area if possible. Please do email or call instead. Thank you.
St Mark’s own breakfast club will also be running. There is no need to book in advance. https://www.stmarksprimary.net/breakfast-club/
SCL Wraparound Care – After School Club
Run at St Mark’s, with a flexible booking system. Runs until 6pm each school day. More details, including booking links, are here: www.stmarksprimary.net/scl
Hatch Warren Community Centre – After School Club
This is run at the local community centre. Children are picked up by HWCCASC staff from St Mark’s and walked to the centre. More details are available here: https://www.hatchwarren.org/after-school-club
Finally, a helpful summary of starting at St Mark’s can be found here.
As always, if you have any questions, please do contact us at email@example.com. We look forward to meeting your child in September!
Mr Applegate & the St Mark’s Team