Applying for a place in Sept 2020
Welcome! We’re looking forward to you joining us. Learn more about the different activities we have in place to help you and your child to get ready for a smooth start at St Mark’s.
If your child didn’t get allocated St Mark’s, you may like to know that we have a few spaces available due to some families not being able to take up their space. Contact the office to find out more.
- Applying for a place for Year R, starting September 2020
- Latest Summary for Sept 2019 parents
- Key Information
- Ask a question
If your child was born between 1st September 2015 and 31st August 2016 and you are looking for a Reception school place for September 2020, you are welcome to come along to one of our school tours. The tour will last approximately one hour. Please telephone the school on 01256 346111 to book your place.
1. Thurs 3rd Oct 10:30am 2. Tues 8th Oct 2pm
3. Weds 16th Oct 10:30am 4. Mon 11th Nov 7pm
5. Tues 12th Nov 2pm 6. Fri 22nd Nov 10:30am
We look forward to meeting you soon!
Applications are made through Hampshire here.
Transition Visits and other key information:
Below are the details to help you and your child get the most out of your forthcoming visits. For each visit please can you arrive at the rear entrance (across the road from the Community Centre).
Visit 1: Children visit Reception and Maths Workshop for parents/carers
– Group 1 – Monday 10th June 1.30pm -3.00pm
– Group 2 – Tuesday 11th June 1.30pm – 3.00pm
– Group 3 – Wednesday 12th June 1.30pm – 3.00pm
Visit 2: Children visit Reception and English Workshop for parents/carers
– Group 1 – Monday 24th June 1.45pm-3.00pm
– Group 2 – Tuesday 25th June 1.45pm-3.00pm
– Group 3 – Wednesday 26th June 1.45pm-3.00pm
** During this visit FOSMs Nearly new 2nd hand uniform stall will be available to purchase uniform.
Summer Fun Day: Saturday 29th June 12-3pm
Please do come along for an afternoon of fun and another opportunity for you to join your new school community.
Visit 3: Friday 5th July 10-11:30am
All children (Groups 1, 2 and 3) will attend this visit to meet their class teacher and peers. Please bring your child to their class door where they will have time to explore their environment, take part in a circle time and complete an activity with their teacher. We ask parents to return at the end of the session and collect from their classroom.
Parents Open Afternoon: Thursday 18th July 3.30pm-6pm
This is an opportunity for you once again to visit your child’s classroom and their class teacher. It can be very busy at 3.30pm so we would recommend coming any time after 4pm.
|Download the Year R Parents’ Guide||Read our vision here||What are the learning behaviours?||What are the 4 Christian values?|
|Book an appointment with Mr Applegate and a member of the Year R team||What do parents think of St Mark’s?||How do we teach reading?||Who is Boris!?|
|Does your child have a food allergy?
HC3S (school meals provider) would like to hear from you before July 9th!
They will be asking parents of children starting in September this year, who have a child requiring a medical special diet, to apply by 1 July 2019. This is necessary, due to the volume of applications received to ensure that there is time to prepare all these menus ready for September.
For more information or to apply please visit https://www.hants.gov.uk/
For any queries the HC3S food development team can be contacted by phone on 02380 627723 or by email at email@example.com.
Between now and the end of July
We hope that you will be able to visit the school and take part in our induction programme. This is to help both yourself and your child get to know our school, and be confident for the official start in September. The programme will involve:
Two meetings for parents:
1. An evening meeting on Wednesday 22nd May 2019 at 7pm for parents which will last approximately one hour. At this meeting we will give you information about your child’s first day at school and when they will be full time. There will be forms to fill in which will be handed to you in a pack, including medical and friendship slips. We would prefer not to have the children at this meeting if possible.
2. Tuesday 4th or Wednesday 5th June – Mr Applegate and a member of our Year R team would like to meet you as parents to get to know you as a family, and answer individual questions. There will be a sign-up form for this meeting – your first parents’ evening meeting! It’s approximately a 15 minute slot. We’ve also added Wednesday 26th June (AM) and Friday 28th June (PM) for additional appointments. Click here to book an appointment online.
Three visits for the children to school:
The children are split into groups of 30 children using their surnames by alphabet (note that we’ve had to change these groupings based on the number of children, and are contacting the small number of parents affected.):
- Group 1 – A-F
- Group 2 – G-L
- Group 3 – M-Z
Visit 1: The first half an hour of this visit will be for you to ‘stay and play’ with your child in our Reception unit. At 2pm your child will continue their visit independently whilst you will have a Mathematics workshop in the small hall. The aim of the workshop is to give you an insight into how we teach Mathematics in Reception, some of the resources your child will use and handy hints for you to support their learning at home. We will also be giving you some number cards to use with your child during the summer holiday.
- Group 1 – Monday 10th June 1.30pm -3.00pm
- Group 2 – Tuesday 11th June 1.30pm – 3.00pm
- Group 3 – Wednesday 12th June 1.30pm – 3.00pm
Visit 2: During your child’s second visit they will stay in our Reception unit whilst you attend an English workshop. The aim of this workshop is to give you an insight into how we teach English in Reception, some of the resources your child will use and how you can support their learning at home. We will also be giving you your child’s Sounds book and Read Write Inc Phonics cards to use during the summer holiday. At the end of the workshop you will receive a letter informing you of the class your child will be in.
- Group 1 – Monday 24th June 1.45pm-3.00pm
- Group 2 – Tuesday 25th June 1.45pm-3.00pm
- Group 3 – Wednesday 26th June 1.45pm-3.00pm
Visit 3: Friday 5th July – A morning in July when the children attend school to meet other members of their class.
From September onwards:
During the first few weeks, the intake of children is staggered. This helps us to spend enough time with each group of children so that they can settle quickly.
Group A (children who will be five on or before 31st December 2019)
- Attend the morning sessions 8.30am-11.45am on Monday 9th September
- Tuesday 10th – Friday 13th September they will stay for lunch and go home at 12.45pm
- Monday 16th September they will start full time.
Group B (children who will be five between 1st January 2020 and 30th April 2020)
- Will start part time on Monday 9th September. They will attend for the afternoon 1.00pm-3.20pm
- From Tuesday 10th September – Friday 13th They will attend mornings only 8.30am- 11.45am.
- They will stay for lunch from Monday 16th September until Friday 20th
- They will start full time on Monday 23rd September 2019.
Group C (children who will be five between 1st May 2020 and 31st August 2020)
- Will start part time on Tuesday 10th September 2019 they will attend for the afternoon 1.00pm-3.20pm.
- From Wednesday 11th September – Friday 20th September they will continue part time and attend afternoons 1.00pm-3.20pm.
- On Monday 23Rd and Tuesday 24th September 2019 they will stay for lunch and go home at 12.45pm.
- They will start full time on Wednesday 25th September 2019.
Skoolkit sell our sweatshirts and cardigans as well as other items of school uniform. There will be a display of items for you to look at and a 10% off voucher for you to spend in the shop in the town centre. We will be selling PE bags for £5.00 on the 22nd May should you wish to purchase one to take home.
Find out more about our uniform policy here.