A note from Mr Applegate
We had a mini-inspection on Tuesday by the local authority. The children were their usual amazing selves, and we had very positive feedback. We also had a senior leader from an outstanding school in Surrey join us on Friday. Again, the children were great, and she complimented our “wonderful school!” I’d like to extend my thanks to our staff, who work incredibly hard every day. This week was really just a normal week! I am very proud to be Head Teacher at St Mark’s.
I’ve been pleased to see our children’s writing this week, too. Across the school, boys and girls alike are enjoying writing due to our new, structured approach. Just ask them about why ‘sentence stacking’ is helping!
Have a great weekend! Mr Applegate
School Car Park
As the school car park is becoming increasingly congested, we need to review the number of parents who have access to the car park.
Please could all parents who need access to the school car park email the school office with the reason/need to park here.
Even if you have been granted permission in the past, you will still need to email the office again to obtain permission.
You can contact us at email@example.com
Details have been emailed out. Please contact the office if you have not received it.
Parents’ Eve (2/3) – Weds 23rd March – 3:40-5:50pm *
Parents’ Eve (3/3) – Weds 30th March – 4-6pm
* Note that 6C’s second session will be on Thursday 24th March, not 23rd March
FOSM Easter Egg Hunt
Remember, tickets need to be purchased before the event and the closing date is Friday 25th March. Limited tickets available!
FOSM News and Dates
- Thank you so much for your generosity with our FOSM Reading Challenge! There’s still time to bring any money in. The team are busy counting!
What are we learning this term?
- Y1 On the Move Curriculum Information.pdf
- Y1 On the Move Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y2 Me and You Curriculum Information.pdf
- Y2 Me and You Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y3 Whats inside Curriculum Information.pdf
- Y3 Whats inside Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y4 Simbas UK Road Trip Curriculum Information.pdf
- Y4 Simbas UK Road Trip Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y5 European Identities Curriculum Information.pdf
- Y5 European Identities Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y6 Temples of Doom Curriculum Information.pdf
- Y6 Temples of Doom Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- YR newsletter Spring 2 2022.pdf
Match Funding Anyone?
What is match funding?
If you work for an organisation that has a match funding policy, any money we raise could be matched by your employer. Companies may match the fundraising total for a whole event. Usually, the employee will need to supply them with a letter from the PTA detailing the date and nature of the event, together with the total raised.
Does your employer have a match funding scheme?
You can contact your Human Resources Department to find out if your employer has a match funding scheme, or if they are willing to match funds at any of our events.
If your employer has a match funding policy, please do let us know, especially if you are already volunteering or thinking of volunteering at the Easter Disco, or any other PTA event.
Thank you in advance for looking into match funding. Every little really does help (and yes, Tesco do match fund!).
Wear a Hat Day – 25th March
On 25th March, we’re celebrating Wear a Hat Day. This is run by Brain Tumour Research. Some of you will remember Jayden, a St Mark’s pupil who passed away of a brain tumour (the blue and red chair by the KS1 playground is in memory of him – painted in Spiderman colours!).
We’ll have donation buckets on the gate if your child would like to wear a hat to school (with normal school uniform!). Thank you.
⭐ Star Learners ⭐
Star Learner Awards:
- Year R: Jennifer, Arthur, Roman
- Year 1: Konrad, Ayaan, Noah
- Year 2: Maisie, Ellie, Mimi
- Year 3: Amneet, Brogan, Jai
- Year 4: Joshua F, Vince, Jack
- Year 5: Noah W, Colin, Zach
- Year 6: Max M, Parker, Brody
- Year 3: Angelina K, Marley S, Benjamin T
- Year 4: Harry B, Olivia N, Elizabeth B
- Year 5: Emilia T, Isla B, Anaya S
- Year 6: Aidan S, Kai E, Toby W
Most active class in each year group:
- Year 3: 3SB & 3C
- Year 4: 4T
- Year 5: 5SP
- Year 6: 6B & 6C
- Year1: Kieran, Thompson, Max T
- Year 2: Mason, Ruby L, Mimi
Star Reader Awards:
- Year 1: Kylara, Lewis, Harry B
- Year 2: Ava Ma, Claudia Elise
- Year 3: Poppy, Dollie, Oscar
- Year 4: Naia, Ross, Freddie
- Year 5: Matheus, Emily, Emilia
- Year 6: Madi P, Isaac H, Harley
Music of the week!
Felix Mendelssohn was a German composer in the Romantic Era. This piece of music was inspired by a trip to Scotland when he visited the island of Staffa with its sea cave known as Fingal’s Cave. This tune popped into his head whilst he was there and he wrote it down on a postcard to send back home to his family.
Hatch Warren Phoenix have recently set up a new football training group for girls aged 5-11, and are looking to get more girls involved. Training is run by fully qualified coaches and held 9:00-10:00 on Sunday mornings at Hatch Warren Infant School. No previous experience necessary and all abilities warmly welcome!
If you or someone you know might be interested in joining this friendly and fun group, feel free to contact Malcolm Leake via firstname.lastname@example.org
The ‘Friends of St Mark’s’ (FOSM) was formed early in the life of the school. All parents are automatically members and our committee organises social events for children and adults and fund-raising events such as Key Stage discos, Easter Egg Hunts and Summer Fun days.
Over the last few years the ‘Friends’ have donated money that has contributed towards extra resources to benefit the children at St. Mark’s which has included playground equipment, books for the school library, and general school funds. We are now a registered charity, too. Charity number: 1188879
Join our Facebook group here.