A note from Mr Applegate
- WOWOWOW! A brilliant week at St Mark’s!
- KS1 worship and KS2 worship on Monday, and whole school worship today – almost 700 of us! For the first time in 3 years. Just lovely, and the children were amazing. Singing our school song together in person was something else.
- And today’s Jubliee celebrations were great! A memorable, special and fun time had by all. Thank you to Mrs Boyle and Mrs Tickle for leading the day, and Miss Stonehouse and Co for providing the live music for enjoyment and dancing. We even had a visit from the Queen, and live buskers :)
- Year 5 were fab with their Carnival on Thursday, as part of their Windrush project – well done!
- Help needed – Developing our school grounds workshop (sign-up here) FOSM Summer Fun Day (email here)
- Half-term is next week, then INSET on the 6th, and we return on Tuesday 7th June.
- Enjoy our new favourite song below!
Finally, a huge thank you goes to Roc Technologies, who have donated 5 laptops to us and 5 TVs, to do with as needed. Watch this space re the TVs!
We’re improving our outside areas!
How can you help?
- Match funding – we really need a company to help double our FOSM fundraising! Please email us if you can help!
- Attend our workshops – Our outside areas are tired, and we’d like your input into what it could look like. We’ve invited an expert to work with us to design a plan! We really need 10 parents/carers to join us for 2 easy and fun workshops where you can suggest ideas and be part of our transformation. Tues 7th June @ 2pm for an hour, and Mon 20th June @ 2pm (both please!). Sign up here!
- Help on our summer fun day – Sat 2nd July. Choose from these options: (a) 9am-12pm set up (b) 12pm-3pm for the event (c) 3pm until breakdown of event has finished (d) 9am-3pm set up and event (e) 12pm-3pm event and breakdown (f) The full event! Email us here to let us know what you can do.
- Attend our FOSM events – see below!
Inset day reminder!
School is closed to children on Monday 6th June for an inset day. Back as usual on Tuesday 7th June.
Grow 70p for the Jubilee
Year 1 Act of Kindness!
Class 1P have made cards for children at Basingstoke Hospital.
The class were excited to do something to make poorly children smile. Well done to Ruby R for such a lovely idea!
Arts and Crafts Club
Over the last couple of weeks we have collected sticks, painted them and constructed them into wind chimes to brighten up our outside areas. The children have loved it!
Dates for your diary
picnic lunch for both KS1 and KS2 at 12:00pm, KS1 – 1.00pm start)
Walk To School Week – Monday 16th May to Friday 20th May
- Year 6 Windmill Hill residential: 13th – 17th June
- Year R Bucklebury Farm Park: 23rd June
- Year 2 Hillier Gardens: 24th June
- Year 5 Taster Day at Brighton Hill School: 7th July
- Year 3 Seacity Trip: 8th July
- Year 4 New Barn Field Centre Residential: 11th-13th July
- Year 5 Ufton Court: 14th July
- 6th June 2022 with workshops for years 5 &6 on 27th, 28th June
FOSM School Disco – 10th June; Summer Fun Day – Sat 2nd July
Inset Days – Monday 6th June 2022, Thursday 1st September, Friday 2nd September, Tuesday 3rd January 2023, Friday 31st March 2023, Monday 5th June 2023
New Catering Company from September
Foundation Governor Required!
We have a brilliant governing body, and have a vacancy for a foundation governor. Why not join us?
A foundation governor is appointed to the governing body to support the religious character of the school. In church schools, governors are guardians of the vision and Christian ethos, keeping it alive and ensuring that it is implemented.
Being a governor also involves meeting with other governors (12 meetings across the year), meeting with staff a few times across the year, and visiting the school to help us show we are doing all that we need to be doing!
If you are interested in finding out more, please email the office here. Or why not suggest this to someone you think might be interested?!
Enjoy a summer poem, written by Freddie
Summer is here,
It’s burning hot,
No-one knows it,
But I sweat a lot.
It’s finally here,
Because it’s my birthday,
I can cry a happy tear,
Summer’s nearly over,
It’s really sad,
At least school starts,
And that’s why I’m glad.
By Freddie F (Year 4)
The ‘Friends of St Mark’s’ (FOSM) was formed early in the life of the school. All parents are automatically members and our committee organises social events for children and adults and fund-raising events such as Key Stage discos, Easter Egg Hunts and Summer Fun days.
Over the last few years the ‘Friends’ have donated money that has contributed towards extra resources to benefit the children at St. Mark’s which has included playground equipment, books for the school library, and general school funds. We are now a registered charity, too. Charity number: 1188879
Join our Facebook group here.