Message from Mr Applegate
I think we are ready for a half-term break, but there’s one more week to go! The children are doing amazingly, and it’s great to see the progress they are making.
Remember, although we aren’t using reading logs, it is SO IMPORTANT that children are reading at home on a regular basis. It makes the difference in your child’s education. We just don’t have the capacity to do it all, and reading at home is essential. If you need help or top tips, just ask!
FOSM Car Wash – Sat 17th Oct – details below!
Parents’ Evenings are coming up. In preparation, we’ll be photocopying a piece of writing or putting it on Google Classroom/Tapesty. We hope it helps you to see how they are progressing!
Simba has been the name around the school! Thank you to those parents who have contacted us about any anxieties/allergies for their children. All being well, he will start at St Mark’s on 9th November.
Have a great weekend – and see you at the car wash hopefully!
Story Competition- win £20, £30 or £40! McCarthy and Stone will also donate £250 to our school!
FOSM Scavenger Hunt
Thank you to those who have entered the scavenger hunt!
A reminder that an email will be sent from email@example.com next week – check your spam if it hasn’t arrived!
FOSM Car Wash
Saturday 17th October
School Car Park
Children in both? Choose your time!
£5 – small car
£8 – SUV/MPV/large car
£10 – van
Card and cash accepted
The event will be Covid safe, too!
FOSM AGM Update
It was great to have over 30 parents at our AGM on Tuesday. So many positive ideas and suggestions. Thank you everyone. A few points:
- Elections: Cherie Parker – Chair; Mandy Mullen – Treasurer; Emma Bryant – Secretary; Helen Cockburn – President
- Remember, every parent is a member and is able to volunteer to help run events! You can also become a committee member to help make decisions and organise.
- Several events are planned – some in school, most online. Christmas events are coming, but there won’t be a Christmas fair unfortunately due to covid restrictions.
- Need to get in touch with FOSM? Use this email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you mind sharing this to grandparents, friends and work colleagues?
Battle of the Bands:
Year 4 beat Year 5
Year 3 beat Year 6!
Year 3 – Chloe M, Lucas S, Olivia G
Year 4 – Zion S, Iremide A, Irebami A
Year 5 – Isaac B, Poppy L, Charlie C
Year 6 – Bela F, Noa F, Pippa F
A special mention to Zion in Year 4 who has played the most in the entire school!
Star Learners This Week!
Well done to:
- Year R: Callie, Rudi, Osian
- Year 1: Tina, George J, Elise
- Year 2: Jack N, Beatrice, Jack T
- Year 3: Henry, Leo, Finley
- Year 4: Imogen, Cameron, Charlie R, Dexter
- Year 5: Jessica W, Max M, Chelsea
- Year 6: Skye, Ayush, Leland
Lunchtime heroes – can you help us?
Do you have a couple spare lunchtimes you could help us out with? We’d love to have a couple more ‘lunchtime heroes’ to help us out with KS1 lunches. If you can do one or more days/week, we’d be grateful. Email the office to find out more!
Do you work at Sainsburys?
They have a community scheme which easily raises money for our school. Let us know if you do!
Parents’ Evenings – Online
These will also be held online. You will receive an email giving details for booking a time slot soon. Your video meeting will last a maximum of 10 minutes (it cuts off at 10 minutes!). The video service is run by the same UK company that book the parents evening – you will be given a link, and no additional software/app is needed. To be clear, it’s not Google Meet or Zoom.
- 21st Oct 2020, Wed 16:20 – 18:30
- 4th Nov 2020, Wed 15:40 – 17:40
- 11th Nov 2020, Wed 16:00 – 18:00
Reading Books – school or home?!
Do you have any spare reading books at home that you don’t need? Or perhaps some school reading books that need returning (we’re missing a lot!)? Just drop them into the office. Thanks!
Train to teach with Aspire!
Are you intersted in becoming a primary school teacher? Why not find out more at a free zoom session? Find out details and dates here!
We’ll be talking about road safety in one of our worships this week. Feel free to speak to your child about it, too!
Thank you to those who were able to donate online to Foodbank. It’s not too late – give any time of year by visiting this page.
Click here to watch how the children found out about Simba!
British Legion Poppy – Appeal
poBecause of COVID-19, the Royal British Legion have adapted their poppy appeal this year and are asking others to become involved by putting up decorated poppies in their windows (like the COVID rainbows). We’ll be engaging with this at school too, and learning about remembrance.
A template can be found here: www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/ways-to-give/donate
Year R Tours – September 2021
Interested in joining St Mark’s for September 2021? We’re running tours and online sessions. Click here to find out more
- Use the email email@example.com if you have questions or need to report symptoms or a positive case.
- Please keep us updated – for example, of test results.
- Read this letter from Public Health England about symptoms and testing.
- NHS Symptoms Check
- If a child or parent is at home because of symptoms, please keep the siblings off too. IE the whole household needs to isolate, and the person with symptoms needs to get a test.
- We are moving online with homework, spellings and Google Classrooms. If you need help with technology, please do let us know by emailing the office.
- If a child is off school but able to work, then Google Classroom work is available – and it should be completed. Teachers spend a lot of time making sure this work is available so no-one misses out!
Do you have a spare laptop you don’t need?
Do you have a laptop lying around, which we can use to support children at home? Doesn’t need to be new or quick. We blitz it, and install all the software necessary. That way a child who doesn’t have access to a laptop for home learning can really benefit. If you can help, please email the office.
Friends of St Mark’s (FOSM) AGM
Our FOSM team (PTA) work incredibly hard for our school. We run an AGM, which is a public meeting for all parents/carers to share ideas, discuss events, and see how St Mark’s can be supported financially. It also strengthen’s our community, too! Please do join us online!
Date: Tuesday 13th October, 7:30pm. Online only. The Zoom link is here.
FOSM is now a registered charity – can your business help us in anyway?
What is your child learning this term?
Read the following for your child’s year group to find out more! It includes information about homework, reading, general expectations and more. The Knowledge Organiser helps you to know the knowledge the children should be learning for their project. Test them and see how they are getting on!
- Year 1 Sensational Senses knowledge organiser.pdf
- Year 1 Sensational Senses Topic web for parents.pdf
- Year 2 Oh the places you'll go! Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Year 2 Oh! the places you'll go! Topic web.pdf
- Year 3 Dig and Discover knowledge organiser.pdf
- Year 3 Dig and Discover topic web for parents.pdf
- Year 4 Parent Information.pdf
- Year 4 Raiders of the Lost Cities - Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Year 4 Topic Web.pdf
- Year 5 Connections Space Organiser.pdf
- Year 5 Connections topic web.pdf
- Year 6 Curriculum Information Rumble in the Jungle.pdf
- Year 6 Knowledge Organiser Rumble in the Jungle.pdf
- Year R newsletter Autumn 1 2020.pdf
- Absence Request form – going to be absent (e.g. wedding, funeral, holiday etc)? Use this form
- Pupil Premium Form – have your work/benefit circumstances changed? Complete this form so we can check if your child is elligible for free school meals and other support at school.
- Getting Home Arrangements – tell us how your child gets home each day.
- Mobile Phone Request – for older children needing to bring a phone to school