Thank you, Your Majesty
This week’s top news & reminders
- School is closed on Monday 19th September, returning Tuesday 20th
- School photographer – Monday 26th September
- See your child’s work and hear from their teachers at our Key Information Sessions over the next 2 weeks – see the diary below for dates/times
- Thank you to Rebecca in Year 4 for raising £400 for our outside areas throughout a sponsored 10K walk! Just amazing :)
- Last Chance – Permissions reminder – Did you forget to complete our “permissions and getting home arrangements” form? It’s here. Thank you!
- Gardener – do you know someone who would like to volunteer for an hour or two a week and help with some gardening? Contact the office if so!
St Mark’s Heroes – Can you make the difference?
Our children need your help!
We are continuing with our St Mark’s Heroes, a volunteer scheme to gather as much support as possible to help our children. They would massively benefit from an hour, an afternoon, or whatever you can give to help them during school hours. It could involve reading with a child, supporting a small group, or generally helping in class. It’s also great experience if you’re looking to get more involved in schools.
Please apply here, and come in for friendly chat with Mrs Ford. We’ll help you to complete a free DBS check too.
Thank you for thinking about this – and for thinking of the difference you could make!
Music of the week!
Ronda Alla Turca by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)
One of Mozart’s most famous pieces of music performed on the piano. Mozart was a classical composer from Austria.
Regular news for parents & carers
Breakfast Club – just show up – details here.
Hatch Warren Community Centre after-school club– click here for full details.
SCL after-school club – click here for full details. September prices are £14 for a full session, £11 from 4:15pm. Collection from the SMALL HALL on Tuesdays please
Uniform – click here for details, including Skoolkit ordering
School bags – can be ordered here
Are you eligible for Free School Meals and further funding for the school? Check online here.
Please check our community news section too!
Foundation Governor Required!
We have a brilliant governing body, and have a vacancy for a foundation governor. Why not join us?
A foundation governor is appointed to the governing body to support the religious character of the school. In church schools, governors are guardians of the vision and Christian ethos, keeping it alive and ensuring that it is implemented.
Being a governor also involves meeting with other governors (12 meetings across the year), meeting with staff a few times across the year, and visiting the school to help us show we are doing all that we need to be doing!
If you are interested in finding out more, please email the office here. Or why not suggest this to someone you think might be interested?!
Why is reading imporant?
⭐ Star Learners ⭐
Star Learner Awards (double awards this week!):
1P – Heidi & Orla, 1M – Isaac & Charlie, 1CL – Mia & Hannah
2B – Logan & Katie, 2G – Zoe & Alfie, 2BB – Ruby & Abigail
3C – Max & Darcie, 3T – Dylan & Robyn, 3SB – Owen & Alyssa
4W – Zach & Isabelle, 4S – Alivia & Nicholas, 4PR – Freya & Lucas
5SP – Ellie & Harry, 5DS – Millie & Max, 5F – Ruby & Callum
6P – Charlie & Leighton, 6B – Sam & Jaiden, 6C – James & Neve
Star Reader Awards:
1P – Ruth & Sadie, 1M – Amelia & Mia, 1CL – Riley & Ivy
2B – Max & Emily-Rose, 2G – Nico & Isabelle, 2BB – Charlie & Phoenix
3C – Alex & Eli, 3T – Oliver & Kayla, 3SB – Daisy & Arianne
4W – Freddie & Jack, 4S – Max & Lottie, 4PR – Edward & Hannah
5SP – Jas & Archie, 5DS – George & Harvey, 5F – Leo & Renee
6P – Edward & Ronnie, 6B – Bethany & Kalel, 6C – Liam & Olivia
3SB – Benjamin & Edward, 3T – Jenson & Ruby, 3C – Jack & Elodie
4PR – Lucas & Finley, 4W – Beatrice & Angelina, 4S – Isla
5SP – Monica & Jakob, 5DS – Elizabeth & Harry, 5F – Callum, Chloe
6P – Irebami & Leighton, 6B – George (2 weeks in a row), 6C – Scarlett & Noah
Most active class in each year group:
Year 3: 3C & 3T
Year 4: 4PR & 4W
Year 5: 5DS & 5F
Year 6: 6B & 6P
NumBots best effort:
Year 1: we will update next week!
Year 2: Max (2G), Annabelle (2G), Owen (2BB)
School Events, Lunches, and Clubs
Upcoming events and trips
- Bank Holiday: Mon 19th Sept
- No SCL after school club available on Friday 21st October 2022 & Friday 31st March 2023.
- School individual photos: Monday 26th September
- Key Info Session – Monday 26th Sept @ 5:45pm (at school)
- Key Info Session – Tuesday 20th Sept @6:45pm (at school)
- Key Info Session – Wednesday 21st Sept @5pm (at school)
- Trip to Stonehenge: Friday 7th October
- Key Info Session – Monday 26th Sept @5pm (at school)
- Key Info Session – Tuesday 20th Sept @6pm (at school)
- Winchester Science Museum Trip: Thurs 20th October
- Key Info Session – Wednesday 21st Sept @5:45pm (at school)
Children have enjoyed being back in the main hall for lunches and our new caterers Pabulum have done a wonderful job feeding everyone during the first week of term. It has been a big change to school life and we are so proud of the children for adapting so well!
Status: running as usual
Week 1 next week (please see here for the menus)
Email confirmations have started going out for September 2022/3 clubs now. If you have applied for a place please bear with us whilst we process applications.
Some clubs start w/c 19th September, most w/c 26th September
Academic year dates
Inset Days – Tuesday 3rd January 2023, Friday 31st March 2023, Monday 5th June 2023
Term dates for 2022-2023 – Click here for more info
PE is starting next week (w/c 12th Sept). A reminder that children can wear PE kit to school on the days they have PE. When children have gym, please can they bring or wear shorts underneath.
- Year R – Mondays (gym) and Fridays (outdoor) (starting Fri 30th Sept (this has changed due to school photographer on Mon 26th)
- Year 1 – Wednesdays (outdoor) and Fridays (gym)
- Year 2 – Mondays (outdoor) and Wednesdays (dance) (full school uniform and trainers on Mon 26th please for photographer)
- Year 3 – Tuesdays (gym) and Fridays (outdoor)
- Year 4 – Wednesdays (outdoor) and Thursdays (dance)
- Year 5 – Tuesdays (dance) and Thursdays (outdoor)
- Year 6 – Tuesdays (outdoor) and Fridays (dance)
The ‘Friends of St Mark’s’ (FOSM) was formed early in the life of the school. All parents are automatically members and our committee organises social events for children and adults and fund-raising events such as Key Stage discos, Easter Egg Hunts and Summer Fun days.
Over the last few years the ‘Friends’ have donated money that has contributed towards extra resources to benefit the children at St. Mark’s which has included playground equipment, books for the school library, and general school funds. We are now a registered charity, too. Charity number: 1188879
Join our Facebook group here.
Welcome to Year 5!
The children have really impressed us by how quickly they have settled into their new classes. What superstars they are already showing themselves to be!
This half term, our topic driver is Science – Connections in Supersonic Space! Please find our knowledge organiser and topic web attached. The knowledge organiser gives you lots of information that the children will be learning at school, so they can practise at home too. The topic web gives you an insight into what we will be covering in each subject this half term.
We are all looking forward to our school trip on Thursday 20th October. Please ensure that a permission slip for your child is filled in as soon as possible if it hasn’t been done already.
We look forward to meeting you on Tuesday 20th September at our Curriculum Information Evening!
The Year 5 Team