Message from Mr Applegate
Our careers fair is coming up – 4th and 5th of Feb. We would love to have a few more companies and organisations represented. Can you help? Click here for more details. Remember, as parents and carers, you are invited to join your child in visiting the stalls. The timings are as follows:
- Tuesday 4th Feb – 9:30: 2T, 2R 10:00: 2B, 6P 10:30: 6C, 6S 11:00: 5F, 5T
- Wednesday 5th Feb – 9:30: 5GP, 3B 10:00: 3BE, 3SB 10:30: 4SH, 4EH 11:00: 4T, Bridge
A huge well done to our orchestra who performed so well on Friday afternoon. They are making amazing progress, and we are very proud of them!
Some of our Year 5 students took part in a Basingstoke-wide table-tennis tournament this week. Their behaviour was brilliant, and they played really well. Congratulations also to Hannah who is through to the next round, and will represent St Mark’s in Southampton!
Finally, don’t forget to sign up for a parents’ evening slot here.
Have a great week. Mr A.
Year R – Florence, Owen, Mia
Year 1 – Liam, Chloe, Isabelle
Year 2 – Keegan, Chloe Me, Taya
Year 3 – Emilia, Kayla, Riker
Year 4 – Dylan, Ruby, Millie
Year 5 – Rylan, Isla, Ayush
Year 6 – Harrison, Josh L, Freddy
KS1 Class: Penguins Class with 100%
KS2 Class: 3SB & 4SH with 100%
Nut Free School
Just a reminder that we are a nut-free school. Please avoid any products with nuts in them, including those with chocolate-hazelnut. Thank you.
Lots of help needed!
Because of your generosity through fundraising, we’ve been able to purchase a large volume of books. We now have hundreds of books that need backing with sticky-back plastic. Would you be willing to take home a pile of 20 books to back them? Or even pop in early before pickup or after drop off to do some at school? We would be so grateful. Just pop in to the office and we can go from there. Thank you!
Hatch Warren Community Centre – Car Park
It was reported today by several parents that a driver (parent of the school) drove the wrong way out of the community centre car park. It was very dangerous, and of course against the rules. Thank you to all the drivers who drive safely and respectfully. You are appreciated.
Train to teach with Aspire!
Are you interested in finding out more about a career in teaching? St Mark’s are part of the Aspire teacher training network. It’s a practical, on-the-job route into teaching.
Click here to find out more, including information events coming up soon. https://www.stmarksprimary.net/aspire-train-to-teach/
Breakfast Club Reminders
Breakfast Club opens at 8am, the cost is £2.50, which includes breakfast.
From 8.20am the cost is £1.00, but does not include breakfast. If you arrive before this time you will be charged the full amount of £2.50 (even at 8:18am, to be fair to all parents).
Doors close at 8.25am; there is no access to the school car park after this time.
SCL February Half Term and INSET Day Childcare
SCL will be holding clubs at Hatch Warren Community Centre and Great Binfields School.
The theme will be Spy School. Please use code 4E15 to receive a 15% discount. Click here to book.
There is also SCL provision at St Mark’s for our INSET day on Friday 3rd April. Click here to book.
What’s my child learning this term?
- YR Jolly Postman Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y6 Frozen Kingdoms Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y5 Ancient Greece Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y5 Ancient Greece Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y4 Romans Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y4 Romans Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y3 Comparing Cities Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y3 Comparing Cities Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y2 Pioneers Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y2 Pioneers Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y1 Imagination Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y1 Imagination Knowledge Organiser.pdf
Our theme this week
As a school we focus on attendance and punctuality for all of our pupils. Lateness for pupils is any time after 8:45am – even if it just a minute! Hampshire’s system is that if a child has an ongoing pattern or is persistently late then parents will normally receive a written warning of the possibility of a Penalty Notice being issued. This warning will advise them about the extent of the child’s absence. It will warn them that if their child’s lateness does not show a significant improvement and if this improvement is not maintained thereafter, a Penalty Notice will be issued without further warning. If you feel you’d like support or advice about any of this, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
Alternatively, further information is available here: www.gov.uk/school-attendance-absence/overview
Hatch Warren Community Centre
Click here to find out more about the various events run by our local community centre, including health activities, parent sessions, youth clubs, after school clubs, and more.
Dates for your diary
Hire our Facilities!
St Mark’s boasts a large hall, a smaller hall, a kitchenette, a very large field and playgrounds. Our hire rates are very competitive. Our facilities can be hired for:
- birthday parties
- fitness classes
- sport events
- training events
- and more!
SCL Afterschool Club
1. No deposit required. Simply pay as you go.
2. Bookings are online, quick and easy: www.stmarksprimary.net/scl
3. You can book the night before – no need to book weeks in advance, but you can do that too!
4. Children can attend after school clubs, and then go to SCL when they finish – and also pay a reduced rate.
5. There is plenty of space, and the club is financially secure. It’s here to stay.
6. An afternoon snack and meal are provided.
7. Activities at SCL are varied and fun.
8. Cost is £12/session, or £9 if attending later because of a school club.
9. Hours are 3:20pm to 6pm.
10. Child care vouchers are accepted!
SCL INSET Day Childcare
There is great SCL provision at St Mark’s for our INSET day on Friday 3rd April. Click here to book.
What’s my child learning this term?
- Year R newsletter Spring 2 2020.pdf
- Y6 Temples of Doom Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y6 Temples of Doom Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y5 European Identities Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y5 European Identities Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y4 Who should I follow Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y4 Who should I follow Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y3 Whats Inside Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y3 Whats Inside Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y2 Me and You Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y2 Me and You Knowledge Organiser.pdf
- Y1 On The Move Project Leaflet.pdf
- Y1 On the Move Knowledge Organiser.pdf
Zones of Regulation
Your child may have been talking about feeling ‘red’ or ‘yellow’. What does this mean? Well, St Mark’s are adopting a really helpful way for children to identify and talk about their emotional state- even when they are angry or anxious! Identifying the colour helps children to know how to move towards a more settled state, which may not always been straight to green. It also enables them to know ‘it’s ok to feel this way’, although we are still responsible for our actions. Why not talk through it with your child?
INSET Days – 2020/2021
- Thur 3rd Sept 2020
- Fri 4th Sept 2020 (School starts Monday 7th Sept)
- Mon 4th Jan 2021
- Thur 1st April 2021
- Mon 7th June 2021
Music Rehearsals and Performances for KS2 children only
Wed 18th: 4.15pm – 5.30pm Part A Choir rehearsal and Chamber Choir at Bishopswood Junior School
Fri 27th: 4.15pm – 5.30pm Part b Choir rehearsal and Narrators at Bishopswood Junior School
Wed 6th: 4.15pm-5.30pm Chamber Choir rehearsals at Bishopswood Junior School
Thurs 7th: 4.15pm – 5.30pm Orchestra rehearsals at Costello School
Wed 13th: 4.15pm-5.30pm Chamber Choir rehearsals at Bishopswood Junior School
Fri 15th: 4.15pm-5.30pm Orchestra rehearsals at Costello School
Mon 1st: 9.30am-2.30pm All day choir rehearsal at St Mark’s CofE Primary School (Children still need to attend, even though it is an Inset Day)
Fri 5th: 9.30am-2.30pm All day Orchestra and Dancers’ rehearsal at Christ Church Chineham
Tues 9th: 9.30am-2.30pm All day rehearsal for whole concert at the Anvil
Tues 9th 7pm Concert at the Anvil
Wed 10th: 7pm Concert at the Anvil