A note from Mr Applegate
Thank you to those who joined parents’ evening this week. I must admit to missing seeing and talking with parents in reception as was the normal way! Hopefully seeing the written work from the children, as well as the conversations with teachers, has given you a good idea of how your child is doing and areas to work on.
We’ve been thinking about mental health awareness week this week. Mrs Alsey shared about how forgiveness can help our mental health too. She gave us the picture of a tree – it takes in the bad (CO2) and gives out the good (Oxygen). When we harbour anger and frustration, or we feel wronged by someone, we can take in the stress and frustration of it. But letting it out through forgiving ourselves and others releases that stress and helps us manage our emotions in a good way.
Staff News – I’m sorry to say that Mrs Gatfield will sadly be leaving St Mark’s at the end of May. Mrs Gatfield has worked with us as an LSA since 2008, and will be much missed by children and staff. She shared that.. “My time at St Marks has been extremely rewarding and it’s been a privilege to work with so many amazing teachers and children, however the time has come for me to change career paths … St Marks is an outstanding school and I hope it continues to go from strength to strength.” Mrs Gatfield will be finishing at half-term. We won’t say goodbye just yet, but I know you join me in thanking Mrs Gatfield for her dedication, effort and energy poured into the children and St Mark’s over the years. She has impacted so many lives, and we are grateful for all that she has given. We wish her every success as she returns to the veterinary world.
Finally, if your child is in KS1, can you help us in our finances by having a school dinner on Thursday?! See below.
Have a wonderful weekend! – Mr Applegate
Class photos will be taken on Monday 17th May. We are aware of children who shouldn’t have their photo taken, but if you would like your child not to be in this photo, please do let the class teacher know.
Next Thursday (20th May), is our school census day. If possible, please would you encourage your children to have a hot school dinner that day, as this helps with school funding from the Government. School dinners are free for children in Key Stage 1 (Years R, 1 and 2), and cost £2.50 for children in Key Stage 2 (Years 3 – 6). As we cannot accept cash at the moment, school dinners should be paid for online – if you need details of your child’s dinner account please contact the school office.
Next week is week 2 on the school menu – Thursday’s options will be RED – roast chicken, GREEN – vegetarian sausages with roast veg, WHITE – jacket potato with vegetarian sausages. Children with allergies have their own special diet menus.
Parents’ Evening Bookings
See the letter sent home for bookings, which are now open. Appointments will be online, lasting 10 minutes. Please contact the office if you haven’t received the letter.
- Wednesday 19th May 3.40-5.30pm
- Wednesday 26th May 4.30-6.30pm
Nearly New Uniform Sale Saturday 22nd May
FOSM have kindly arranged a nearly new uniform sale to be held at one of their houses on Saturday 22nd May. The sale will be held 12-4pm at 3 Canterbury Close, RG22 4PW.
Let your little one roar with Dandelions Preschool. We are a purpose built, Ofsted rated “Good”community preschool, based in the heart of Hatch Warren and Beggarwood. We have limited spaces left for September 2021 starts, please contact us on 01256 818857 or email@example.com to book a playdate and visit or for any enquiries. We look forward to meeting you.
Well done to:
- Year R: Eli S, Noah, Ayla
- Year 1: Alex, Maisie, Ben G
- Year 2: Navlyn, Beatrice, Nicholas
- Year 3: Olivia, Sebastian, Ashley
- Year 4: Zach, Trinity, Neve, Anaya
- Year 5: Adam, Nyle, Isobel D
- Year 6: Ollie R, Teagan, Ed E
Rock Stars & Numbots
Rock Stars best effort:
Numbots best effort:
Does your child need after school care?
Year 5 Taster and Open Days
The following schools are planning to hold Taster Days for Year 5 pupils:
- Brighton Hill School: Friday 9th July Tel: 01256 350606
- Aldworth School: Thursday 8th July Tel: 01256 322691
- Cranbourne School: Thursday 8th July Tel: 01256 868600
- Henry Beaufort School: will be holding their Taster Day online this year. Tel: 01962 880073
- Perins School: Open Mornings Thursday 8th & Friday 9th July 8.45am-10.30am. Open evening Thursday 9th July 5pm-7pm Tel: 01962 734361
Please note all dates may be subject to change. Please contact the individual schools for further information.
Year 6 Transitions Days
We have been given the following dates for the Year 6 transition days:
- Brighton Hill School: Thursday 1st & Friday 2nd July
- Aldworth School: Thursday 1st & Friday 2nd July
- Cranbourne School: Thursday 1st & Friday 2nd July
- Henry Beaufort School: Wednesday 7th & Thursday 8th July
- Perins School: TBC
- Bishop Challoner School: Thursday 1st & Friday 2nd July
Bags2School – have a clear out and raise funds!
Drop off 3:30 – 5pm in the school car park on Thursday 20th May.
Dresses and Messes – Customised items, and raising money for FOSM
See a wide range of items available, which can be personalised as you wish. All profits go to St Mark’s. Enjoy!
How to talk to your child about online safety
Click here for helpful videos from the NSPCC:
Sign-up for our school prayer points mailing list
Would you like to join our prayer points mailing list? In conjunction with Immanuel church, this is a new opportunity to receive by email a half-termly prayer point list for our school. Click here to find out more.
SCL After-school care & half term childcare
Click here for regular after school care at St Mark’s.
- Use the email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need to report symptoms or a positive case.
- Please keep us updated – for example, of test results.
- Read this letter from Public Health England about symptoms and testing.
- NHS Symptoms Check
- If a child or parent is at home because of symptoms, please keep the siblings off too. IE the whole household needs to isolate, and the person with symptoms needs to get a test.
- We are moving online with homework, spellings and Google Classrooms. If you need help with technology, please do let us know by emailing the office.
- If a child is off school but able to work, then Google Classroom work is available – and it should be completed. Teachers spend a lot of time making sure this work is available so no-one misses out!
Monday 7th June 2021
Thursday 2nd September 2021
Friday 3rd September 2021 (term starts 6th Sept)
Tuesday 4th January 2022
Friday 8th April 2022
Monday 6th June 2022
- Absence Request form – going to be absent (e.g. wedding, funeral, holiday etc)? Use this form
- Pupil Premium Form – have your work/benefit circumstances changed? Complete this form so we can check if your child is elligible for free school meals and other support at school.
- Getting Home Arrangements – tell us how your child gets home each day.
- Mobile Phone Request – for older children needing to bring a phone to school
Recent Posts – have you missed anything?
- Year 5 Request for Art
- Rev May
- An explosive start to the Summer term for Year 4!
- 23rd April Newsletter – Car Wash Tomorrow, Parents’ Evenings, Taster Days and more
- Year R: People who help us
- Welcome Back Year 5!
Support our school whilst you shop!
Going to be absent?
We’ve moved our absence request form online. This is for absence requests such as holidays, weddings, funeral, special events, and more. You don’t need to use this form for sickness or self-isolation (but please email/phone the office if they are unwell).
Email and Contact Details