We have had a great start to Year 3 and the children have settled quickly into their new classrooms. On our first day, we started the day with a letter from Mr Calver. During the holidays he discovered a possible site that would be of interest to archaeologists, so asked if we could help him and become archaeologists. We started by learning all about our new role and then headed to the site to complete our dig. We had to be very careful as the artefacts we found looked extremely old. Once we were back in the classroom, we examined what we had found and then waited eagerly for the results from the lab at the official Forensic Archaeological Society – Mr Calver had sent some samples off during the holidays!
After lunch, we received a thank you letter and they confirmed the artefacts we found were very old, and were from the year 5432BCE. We then completed an activity to make a timeline (using a toilet roll!) to help us understand just how long ago the Stone Age was. The children will be bringing home a copy of our Knowledge Organiser for this half term. Our project is called ‘Dig and Discover’ and will be History led. We have also attached our topic web for you to see what your child will be learning this half term.
Dates for your diary…
- Every Monday and Thursday – PE
- Wednesday 5:00 – 5:45pm – Year 3 Curriculum Evening in the Main Hall
- Friday 29th September – Stonehenge Consent and Medical Form due
- Wednesday 11th October – Parents evening
- Friday 13th October – Stonehenge Trip
- Wednesday 18th October – Parents evening
- Friday 20th October – Inset Day
- HALF TERM – Monday 23rd – Friday 27th October
- Tuesday 31st October – Payment for Stonehenge due
- Monday 11th December – 2pm Carol Concert Years 3/4
- Tuesday 12th December – Listen2me Ukelele concert (times TBC)
- Tuesday 12th December – 6.30pm Carol Concert Years 3/4
- Wednesday 13th December – 10am Carol Concert Years 3/4