What a wonderful start we’ve had to Year 2! The children are settling in well and are beginning to get used to the new routines of Year 2. They have enjoyed getting to know new friends and their teachers, and have loved being able to meet all of their friends across Year 2 at playtimes and lunchtimes. We have also been lucky enough to have had two Year Group worships where we were all able to meet in the hall and see each other in person rather than on a screen. A further excitement, was being able to sing together; something we have all missed and really enjoyed!
We have begun our new topic, ‘Beauty Inside and Out‘, where we have started with the geography part of our topic work by learning about our local area. So far, we have explored inside our school grounds and located features of our school grounds on aerial photographs and maps. Later, in the half term, we will have a ‘mini trip’ out around Hatch Warren to explore the beauty in our local environment and to complete our mapwork. We will also link in our science work on materials, and carry out investigations on the properties of materials, to pick the most suitable materials for items that we need to take on our trip with us. Please see our Knowledge Organiser and Topic Web below for more details:
A couple of notes:
- Homework will be set on Google Classroom in your child’s class. This will begin on Friday 17th September and children will be given a week to complete it. This will be a mixture of Numbots, BugClub and maths/reading tasks.
- Work for children who are isolating (but well enough to complete work) will be found on the Year 2 page of Google Classroom. Please note that we will get this online as quickly as we can once we are aware of your circumstances.
- PE starts on Wednesday 15th September for Year 2- the children should come into school in their PE kit each Wednesday.
- Children will be issued with reading books each week and will visit the library each week to pick a library book on a Monday.
- RWI book bag books matched to each child’s phonic learning will come home from Monday 20th September, once we have begun our RWI lessons. These lessons will be in addition to our whole class phonics sessions that are already happening twice each day.
- Please make sure your child’s reading books are in school everyday so that they can be read with.
- Please make sure that children bring a coat into school each day as the weather is very changeable and we do our best to get outside as much as possible even on wet days.
We have all really enjoyed our first week back and look forward to getting to know both you and the children better in the coming weeks. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns, using the year group email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your support,
Mrs Rosso, Miss Burgess, Mrs Brackenridge and Mrs Tickle